menu menu menu menu menu menu menu menu
Musée Franco-Australien de Villers-Bretonneux

- Nord Pas de Calais

The Australian Trail : Nord Pas de Calais

 

Bullecourt

bullecourt

As you leave Bullecourt in the direction of Riencourt-lès-Cagnicourt, is a memorial park comprising a statue of an Australian soldier; erected in 1993.

Just outside the church is the ‘Slouch Hat’ Memorial, a small monument surmounted by an Australian slouch hat, commemorating the two Battles of Bullecourt fought in April and May 1917. The names of the British and Australian units which took part in these battles are shown on the face of the monument. Beside it is a rusty relic - a tank track.

Inaugurated on April 25, 2012, the Jean et Denise Letaille Museum in Bullecourt preserves the history of thousands od soldiers who converged here to defend the Arras area in 1917.

 

Arras

arras

On the monument to the aviators in the British cemetery “Faubourg d’Amiens Cemetery” is inscribed the name of George Robin Cuttle, an Australian aviator brought down at Caix near Villers-Bretonneux.

A small village in Australia called Robinvale was named after him by his family (twinned with Villers-Bretonneux since 1984).

 

Fromelles

fromelles

The VC Corner Cemetery is the only cemetery in France that is entirely Australian. There are no headstones, under two large concrete crosses set flat on the ground, to the left and right near the cemetery entrance, are the remains of more than 400 Australians who were killed in action or died of wounds.

On the walls of the memorial beyond the cemetery, are inscribed the 1,299 Australians killed during the battle of Fromelles July 19th 1916 and have no known grave.

 

Fromelles Memorial Park (« Cobbers » statue, erected in 1998).

cobbersThe Town Hall of Fromelles holds a museum dedicated to the First World War.

In May 2008, five mass graves were found in “Pheasant Wood”, near to Fromelles. These graves which have lain untouched for over 90 years, should hold the remains of 225 to 400 British and Australian soldiers buried behind the German Lines after the battle of Fromelles in July 1916. The British and Australian governments asked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to oversee the operation of recovering the remains and in creating a new Military Cemetery at Fromelles for their reburial. Work started in May 2008 and will finish in July 2010. Further information.

 

Vieux-Berquin

On the wall of the Town Hall is erected a plaque in honour of the 7th Battalion.