Franco-Australian Museum - Villers-Bretonneux
Opening of the museum since Januray 5th, 2015 in the Victoria Hall. More info
Welcome to official website of the Franco-Australien Museum.
Created by the Franco-Australian Association in Villers-Bretonneux (existing since 1959 under the name of “The Franco-Australian Welcoming Committee”), the Franco-Australian Museum (then named The William Legatt Museum), unveiled the April 25th1975, is situated on the first floor of the Victoria School.
Run by the Association, the Museum tells the story of the Australian Imperial Force during the First World War, particularly on the Western Front in 1918.
With a surface area of 400m², totally renovated in 1992, thanks to the Local council of Villers-Bretonneux, Australia and the Regional Council of the Somme; it holds:
Use arrows to switch pictures
Situated in the heart of a farming region, the town owes its economic development to hosiery and textiles during the second half of the XIXth century right up to the beginning of the First World War. Now with more than 4,000 inhabitants, the present-day Villers-Bretonneux is primarily concerned with agriculture and has developed its industrial and commercial park.
Since 1920 Melbourne has “adopted” Villers-Bretonneux and in 1984 Villers-Bretonneux was twinned with the small town of Robinvale, State of Victoria, Australia.